Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wake me up before I go go

Focusing my energy back on this blog's purpose, I'm going to give you a review of some stellar coffee places in the OKC area.  But first, a non coffee-induced pep in your step: 
I mentioned in my last post that caffeine makes me crazy, even in as small of a dose as iced tea.  At the time of that blog, I was banned from caffeine by my doctor because I was living on it to function semi-normally with skyrocketing anxiety and an eye that twitched like a crackhead.  I was debased to this state because I was working part-time, going to school full-time and doing a costume internship on an independent film over 20 hours a week.  While helping my husband run errands for his family in my free time.  What free time?  Yes, I am crazy and no, I was not sleeping.  Who has time for that?

I am finally out of school and work full-time in an office so now I need coffee to stay awake in front of my computer, beneath the glare of flattering fluorescent lighting in my Joe Versus the Volcano (1990) office.  Between the internship run by Satan and adult job experience, I have now come to appreciate a good cup o' Joe - especially when mystery coworkers make brown water.  Blech.


Gray Owl Coffee
This gem is located in Norman and is one of my favorite places ever.  Gray Owl is one of the businesses, along with other cafes, shops & bars that have helped to build up Norman's old downtown on Main & Gray.  I loved it before, but it is flourishing now, especially with Second Friday Art Walks every month. 

When you open up Gray Owl's large wooden door with its spindly handle, you are hit with the aroma of their coffee, espresso & teas, as well as their various baked goods made fresh daily.  Their walls are a gallery to local artists whose work is for sale at reasonable prices.  Thrift furniture makes up the decor and adds to the broken-in feel of the place.  Board games, magazines & papers are found across the coffee tables, while a bookshelf harbors a library to borrow from in the back.  The staff is pleasant, even when things get busy and the music is always very chill, putting you at ease while you prepare to jolt your body to life.

My favorite thing to get there is the soy vanilla latte, but I enjoy it with milk as well and have had great luck with the teas and mate, another way to get a good boost.  Tell them you want to try something and they might even do a little tester for you if they aren't slammed.  Take a whiff of all the teas in those big glass jars - delightful.  The baked goods are delicious and the perfect blend of moist & flavorful.  I know some people really hate the word "moist," but you just have to get over it when you are talking baked goods, k?  The times I have gotten the quiche ("Ya don't spell it, son. Ya eat it!") I have been floored, as it was comparable to quiche I ate in Paris everyday I was there.

What makes this place even better is their coffee & most (if not all) of their teas are Intelligentsia, which means they have a direct trade with the farms that grow their products and actually visit them every month.  So now you can get your fix guilt-free, knowing your shop and its producers care about you, your community & each other.  Pretty neat, huh?

223 E. Gray St.
Norman, OK 73069
M-F 7AM-12AM
Weekend 9:30AM-12AM
http://www.grayowlcoffee.blogspot.com/
Follow @grayowlcoffee


Forward Foods
A gourmet grocery & cafe with locations in Norman & OKC, there is so much to get and try here, you will never leave disappointed.  It is exactly like all the little gourmet marts you can go to in big cities like LA or NYC and choose from all things organic & international.  At the front is the counter for groceries, while the back counter is where you can order one of their mouthwatering lunch specials (LOVE cold avocado soup in the summer) or pick from one of their hundreds of cheeses from all over the world OR you can get a fair trade coffee drink.  See, I'm not off topic.  I have to plug the whole shop but if my description seems insufficient here, I can always do a whole separate post.  But as I was saying, the coffee is amazingly smooth & comforting.  My mother and I got cappuccinos here before and they were out of this world; I've been hooked ever since.  If you get to sit down and enjoy it with some cane sugar, I know you will be as happy as a clam.

Be sure to grab some of their sodas by the front counter and, oh, while you're at it, how about some international treats like stroopwafels or some dark organic chocolate with bits of ginger in it?  I'm a bad influence to everyone when it comes to treats, so don't feel too bad.

To top it all off, these passionate folks have cheese classes you can enjoy at either location for a low price.  Follow them on Twitter for updates on lunch specials as well as any classes coming up.

123 E. Main St.
Norman, OK 73069

5123 N. Western Ave
OKC, OK 73118
http://www.forwardfoods.com/
Follow @forwardfoods


Coffee Slingers
Since I live in Norman, I haven't gotten to have as many visits to Coffee Slingers, but when I do, they hit the spot.  Now that I work in the city, refuge is only a 10-15 minute trip and well worth it.  In fact, the first time I visited them was in the middle of my internship when I was about to head back to Norman for class and needed something to keep me up for the 30 minute drive and three hours of class.  I told you I know I was crazy - lay off!

Coffee Slingers is in downtown OKC in Automobile Alley, an up & coming district that was once the auto marketplace until the 1995 bombing destroyed many buildings in the area.  The mayor & community built the area back up with all kinds of great businesses that have been popping up & thriving ever since.  I'll share these nuggets of greatness with you in the future, so be patient.

All of their coffee is scrumptious & fair trade.  Their menu is simple with the different types of espresso drinks & a standard price.  I love cappuccinos, so that is what I end up getting, but be aware that their sizes are not your traditional Starbucks gallon cups.  The size changes depending on the type of espresso drink you get so make sure you ask if you don't know what something is and find out its size.  I have had some of their baked goods (can't remember what, a scone?) which are also exceptional.  Their decor is very clean, modern & minimalist, so again, a great place to relax as you rejuvenate.

They became a quick favorite as they are always there for me when I am on my last leg, but I can guarantee they will be a delight when you just want a tasty drink as you enjoy the sights of beautiful OKC.

1015 N Broadway
OKC, OK 73102
M-Th 6:30AM-7PM
F 6:30AM-9PM
Sat 7AM-9PM
http://www.coffeeslingers.com/
Follow @Coffee_Slingers


flowers & sunshine & George Michael & espresso,

bunny

No comments: