Friday, March 4, 2011

Nighttiming, baby

Since you guys don't read & tell, I'm moving on to bigger and better things: my night in with my oldest sister.  We thoroughly enjoy the nights where we plan several activities and then only do 1/4 of it & talk for the rest of the allotted time.  Usually horror movies are involved, which we talk through.  Games & food are a good bet, which we talk through as well.  And of course, always a main ingredient, cheap beer, which we drink as we talk.
 


Last night was no exception as I pitched in a whole $4.50 for a 6-pack of Minnesota's Brew (really good for cheap beer!) and she got us a 12-pack of Lost Lake (cheap & cidery Wisconsin beer).  We also sipped some Irish Mist (YUM) & failed to watch Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things (1973) on VHS that I got at my old video store gig in my hometown.  It should definitely be seen, but I highly recommend the VHS copy b/c it is especially bad.  I didn't know how I'd feel when I first watched it, but I ended up really liking it & feeling like I spent a worthwhile $1.50 on it.  The best part is my VHS cover is all busted with a crazy picture & decorations on it.  Priceless.  The things I get a kick out of..... 


Can't believe I found a pic of my case!

We did get to play You Blew It, a dice game, over the phone with one of my sister's best friends.  I have played it a million times but always have to be reminded whenever I play again & usually don't truly catch on until halfway through.  Very fun, though, I'll have my sister give me some solid instructions to post here later.

Beyond my cheap beer, game & crazy, old horror movie suggestions, I wanted to share this gem of a recipe that is healthy & AMAZING.  I'll give you the original Whole Foods recipe as well as our version that we made with what we had.  I definitely recommend, if you have a smart phone, to get the Whole Foods Recipes app.  It lets you create shopping lists & has all kinds of really delicious ideas:



Vegetable Brown Rice w/Feta Cheese
*1/2 c chopped red onion
*1 (16 oz) package frozen peas & carrots
*1 (16 oz) package frozen 365 Everyday Value Leafy Greens Blend
*1 (20 oz) package frozen 365 Everyday Value Organic whole grain brown rice (prepped according to package directions)
*1/4 c crumbled feta cheese

-Make rice.
-Cook onions & then add peas & carrots to skillet with onion & cook all the way through (about 10 min).
-Spoon veggies over warmed rice & garnish with feta.

Sister Sister version
*chopped white onion (however much you are making/want)
*1 cup brown rice (some really good brand I got at Super Target)
---when cooked, you will have 3 1/2 c brown rice.  If you need more rice for more people, adjust.  You should do two cups of water for every cup of dry, uncooked rice.  If you can get a rice cooker, you should.  It is the best gift my in-laws ever gave me, hands down.  LOVE it.  Only takes 15-20 tidy minutes rather than 45 minutes of I Love Lucy boiling-over-on-the-stove shenanigans.
*bag of frozen green beans
*feta

-Add water & rice to rice cooker (if you are cool)
-Once rice was done & warming (yea, it stays warm when it's cooked.  Told you to get one.), put green beans in skillet on stove & cooked following bag instructions.
-Chopped onion with many tears & squinty & swearing, both of us taking turns trying to master it.  Put desired amount into skillet with a little butter & cooked until brown/caramelized
-Put rice & green beans & onion in bowl, sprinkled with desired feta cheese amount.
-Ate in five seconds flat.

And you should probably listen to this song while you're at it:

flowers, sunshine & family time,

bunny

No comments: