Friday, April 15, 2011

"I'm a professional. I've had three performances."

I have learned that I can be pretty fun to adventure with.  People I like should do it more often with me rather than leaving me to adventure alone, although I do like loner adventures as well.  Anyways, yesterday I decided to go try a place that I had never been to called The Beatnix Cafe.  I work in OKC now and lately I have been like, "WTFuck I need to take advantage of this!"  So I got my directions & copied them to a blue Post-it, slipped on my Ray-Bans, got in my blue Fit & rolled down the windows.

It's been pretty windy here, so of course, I barely made it down the street & my direction Post-it flew off my dashboard into the backseat.  Once I finally got a hold of it via some major bonehead driving moves (luckily on an empty ghetto street), I wound my way through the city.  On 10th I saw a Blues Saloon that I would like to go to, as well as a place called Frog something.  I dunno, but either way the sign was distracting and reminded me of The Muppet Movie & Doc Hopper's Frog Leg franchise when suddenly, with Moody Blues blaring on my radio, I was yelled at by two scruffy, older black gentleman with white beards who asked if I was lost.  "Nope, just finding my way somewhere" aka "Yes, I am lost, but I don't need help from your rickety van & suspicious smiles!  No offense!"

So I find Western & see the People's Barber where some lady is standing the doorway with some crazy Jersey Shore hair getting sprayed down with Aqua Net.  I know where I am at this point, but have never had the pleasure of viewing the People's Barber.  Neat.  As I am going down the street I keep thinking, "Wait, 13th isn't down here.  Where did Google Maps take me?"  And then I think I see the Beatnix Cafe sign that is sun-bleached & the building is boarded up & I think, "Great, I fell for an online Twitter serial killer who masquerades as a lunch/coffee spot."  I ended up turning around a dozen times, mistaking a gallery on Western for Beatnix (although I would like to go to the gallery sometime) & finally realizing that it did NOT say Beatnix on that crazy sign, but Bev's or something.  There's a bar next to that gallery called The Antique Lady that I am going to visit as well.  While I looked like a crazy person making U-turns (not like Usher U-turns, car ones) & turning around, the universe thought it would be hilarious to have the radio play Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Caught in the Crossfire" while I drive aimlessly.  Har.  Har.  No, actually I really was laughing, b/c it is pretty funny.  Good one, universe.

Anyways, eventually I realize that I was going the right way the first time I turned around.  Fast forward to going inside.  It is decorated with mismatched cafe tables & old 50s diner booths and lamps with beads hanging from them, bright colors on the walls & shelves of random antiques & old LPs.  Already love it.  Ordering in line to make the lunch line move faster, I opt for the Reuben with a side of red skin potato salad & a can of Diet Dr. Pepper.

So here's the good part: eating lunch alone is fine & dandy, but it's a little awkward when you maneuver around people and bump into their expensive tech equipment b/c they have apparently set up an office there.  I sit at one of the two-seater cafe tables, thinking this is the polite thing to do for all the big groups, but unfortunately the best option is to sit on the stool with my back to a guy 6 inches behind me in a normal chair.  Within two seconds, let's just say it, he left.  Whoops.  I sat & worked on reading Tina Fey's new book, Bossypants (highly recommend FYI, I'm barely into it & every page makes me giggle crazily) & a magazine when my steaming Reuben arrives in it's basket, like a little baby Moses floating down a river, except probably steamier with a nice little cup of potato salad.  I try the book & sandwich juggle, but this sandwich is a two hand project, even though they slice it in half.  Too many juices.  Let me just say it was divine between the marble rye, sauerkraut, cheese & dressing.  I am doing the Homer drool right now.  Anyways, it was delicious & it made me really happy that they gave me a pickle spear AND a little green olive toothpicked together 1) LOVE green olives 2) HOW CUTE?  The potato salad was perfect.  I know I am not very descriptive, but isn't the whole point to know if it's worth it or not?  Because it definitely is.

Lunch of the gods
If you are not a Reuben fan, it's fine that you suck, but there are other options.  Oh, FYI, you can get their Reuben with turkey instead of corned beef, so maybe you will like this change & suck less, I don't know, though.  One thing I almost got was their California Club b/c it comes on an everything bagel.  I saw that sucker come out - definitely getting it next time.  Unless I keep having dreams about the Reuben.

Anyways, remember techno guy?  HAHA it sounds like he was raving.  That would be distracting.  Well, techno-non-rave guy was actually met by another man (Lover's Point?) and they started to have some sort of meeting or interview.  And this occurred as I was getting my sandwich.  So I awkwardly scarfed down my steamy Reuben behind techno guy's head.  If random other dude with glasses was at all nervous or bored, I hope I eased his pain a little bit.  Or maybe grossed him out.  Either way, win/win.  I resumed the magazine juggle for the sake of the interview.  You're welcome.

As I left stuffed to the brim with one of their coconut pecan cookies (that I forgot to mention) stuffed in my purse, I said thank you & was busted for tweeting about my Beatnix Cafe experience - "Thanks for the shout out."

No problem, dear sir.  THANK YOU for a delicious experience that totally made getting lost & getting back from lunch a little late worth it!  Perfect for baked goods (cookie was top notch), coffee, tea, or lunch (you can even get it to-go), I definitely recommend them, so GO!  Or we can't talk anymore.  Until my next lone lunch adventure.....



The Beatnix Cafe
136 Northwest 13th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73103
(405) 604-0211

Follow on Twitter @thebeatnikcafe
Like on Facebook
Read all about it on http://www.thebeatnikcoffeecafe.wordpress.com/
Sign up for emails at http://www.thebeatnixcafe.com/



Reubens, tweets & Beatnix,
bunny

P.S. If you don't believe me, the husby & I have set a day date for Saturday at none other than The Beatnix Cafe.  TOLD YOU.  Also, if you haven't guessed it, the title is a quote from The Muppet Movie.  You should watch that right MEOW.

No comments: