Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I've got a major Woody

I have been on a Woody Allen kick lately.  Not, like, nonstop obsession where I can't eat or sleep unless I hear his nervous stammering at all moments of my day, but a slow, normal fondness that brings me from one of his movies to the next.  I have decided I especially love his stuff when Diane Keaton is involved.  They have undeniable chemistry that churns out some of my favorite moments on film.  And she always has the best clothes.  And I just flat out love her.

So far I have seen Annie Hall (which I watched back in high school & loved but need to re-watch), What's Up, Tiger Lily? (his first film, which had hilarious voice over on a '60s Asian spy thriller), Manhattan (a complicated love story that pulls you into all of its emotions so much that you actually root for his teen romance), Curse of the Jade Scorpion (which I wanted to see because I always want to see & read anything that had to do with curses, mysteries, magic, unicorns, jade, secrets, outer space and attics) and most recently, Manhattan Murder Mystery.  Manhattan & Manhattan Murder Mystery made me fall for Woody like I couldn't in high school.  I loved his movies back then, but now that I'm older and have seen tons of classic movies, I can fully appreciate all he offers, which is why I need to go back to Annie Hall.

I become completely absorbed by the world of New York City that he creates and gets me itching to move there.  Various influences have made me feel like that over the years, including my sister actually living there & watching Secret of My Success a million times, but his New York seems so comforting and natural and it isn't some big glamorous show, it's real people living their real lives.  He still gives you his fantastic aerial views of the city and his characters frequent the many landmarks, but the city is a character that is included, but not forced, in such a beautiful way.

Anyways, I am professionally prescribing to everyone, full doses of Annie Hall, Manhattan & Manhattan Murder Mystery.  They are funny, the music is great & if you know your films, all of his homages will make you happy.

Here is the final scene from Manhattan Murder Mystery that perfectly demonstrates the chemistry between Allen & Keaton as well as the comfortable atmosphere he creates through his style of filmmaking & storytelling.  He truly lets the city & his actors make moments that he could never contrive:


I'm telling you, aren't her clothes the bees' knees?  Is it bee's or bees'?  Multiple bees would mean multiple, gorgeous bee knees, so I am going to go with multiple.  Bees' knees.  But aren't they just that exactly?!


Woody Allen, NYC & the Keaton fashion sense,


bunny

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in love with Woody Allen and yes, he knows New York. NY is always a character in his film...and their clothes rock! super bees'kneesy!